10 October 2012

Exorcist Wanted: Demon Desktop (Originally Published 9 Jan 2009)


I got myself ready, after finishing my last entry, and made my way out to the dining room to the desktop PC where I downloaded my pictures that I referred to in said previous entry.  Once again, that confounded computer did it’s damnedest to undermine my best-laid plans!  Now, yesterday, I took the memory stick out of my camera, inserted it into the little portal and the software came up right away and I downloaded my pictures with nary a problem.  I separated the pictures in different categories and erased the memory stick going about my business once that was done.  

.. ..
It knew.  It waited.  It plotted.  
.. ..
So, today, I decided to do a quick upload of the various pictures onto a disc and run to the Art of Flowers (where you should get all your floral needs) and download them to my MySpace site.  I was able to get to the software (this is where my computer shows it’s more sinister side) and pull up the appropriate files.  That’s when all hell broke loose. Suddenly, when I went to transfer the photos to the disc, it began what I can only describe as a feedback loop.  The disc kept going and going and going.  Then I couldn’t get it to stop, I couldn’t shut down the software, I did a “control/alt/delete” and found the damned thing was running about thirty or forty “tasks” that had nothing to do with anything I was attempting to do.  I finally got it to shut everything down and I decided to reboot.  
.. ..
Now here is where you’d think that all was well.  
.. ..
You’d be wrong.  
.. ..
As you may have noticed, I’ve had no new pictures uploaded on my MySpace page.  After it started back up, did it’s long and infernal checks and balances, contacted NASA or the Taliban or Satan or whatever it does, it would not let me into the software where my photos are stored. Now, there are other ways to get to them but, I needed to edit them with this particular software and the bloody, buggery, sumbitch PC would not allow access.  I guess it wasn’t done its interface with all that is evil.  So, once again, I was humbled by my lowly PC.  
.. ..
It sits there.  Plotting.  Waiting.  Evil!
.. ..
Before I took the damned thing and threw it off the balcony, I put on my jacket, grabbed and umbrella and wandered down to the flower shop and sat with Becky and Darlene and gossiped and chatted.  I also decided to give them a hand since they’re short-handed with some of the staff on vacation.  I swept the floors in the workroom, took out all the trash, broke down the boxes, the busy work.  
.. ..
I bid my farewells around one o’clock in the afternoon, wondering where the time went to, and walked through the rain back to the penthouse.  
.. ..
Time for a bit of a nap and then it’s off to work until four in the morning!
.. ..
See ya at the Westside! 

No comments:

Post a Comment