10 October 2012

Dinner, Read, Breakfast, Read, Repeat. (Originally Published 13 Jan 2009)


Current mood:restless


 
.. ..
The weekend came and went with far less climatic fanfare than predicted.  Since I have no telly, I can’t be too sure about the rest of the East Coast but I can assure you, Absecon Island got far less rain than the wizards of weather forecasted (and, blessedly, no snow).  And that is a good thing.  The past few months have seen nothing but rain here on my little isle of love.  Normally I look forward to the winter, the air is dry and therefor less conducive to curling my “naturally curly hair”.  I suffer from the age-old contrariness that most people do; those with curly hair want it straight, those with straight hair want curls.  In winter, my hair usually loses the tighter curls and I get to wear a few more hairstyles than I am normally limited to.  Not recently, though.  With the humidity in the air brought on by this rainforest-like climate we’ve had, I have suffered through the curly mess that is my mane.  I had a funny episode happen last week when I stopped by the Post Office to mail a package to my Aunt Janet.  The woman in front of me in the queue marveled at the huge wild curls all over my head and mused that it must be going to rain.  I was reminded of my youth when my mother would more accurately predict the weather just by looking at how curly my hair was than the weather people would.  
.. ..
We started our new “late nights” at the Westside on Saturday and things went well.  A few extra people came by and it was almost like the old Studio Six days.  Almost.  Stay tuned for further updates.  
.. ..
Last night I decided to take myself out to dinner.  I haven’t been to Los Amigos in a bit so I bundled up, walked down to the Jitney and made my way across town to the restaurant.  My favourite waiter wasn’t there but I still knew most of the staff.  I brought my latest read, The Devil’s Candy by Julie Salamon.  It details the account of the filming of “Bonfire of the Vanities” and the subsequent disaster it became.  Which was a shame because the book it was based on was (and is) one of the best novels I have ever read.  The Devil’s Candy is quite the insider’s account of how movies get made and the pitfalls that happen to make those movies truly horrible.  I took my nose out of my book long enough to peruse the menu and decided on the black bean soup, a staple there and always good, and the pan seared salmon in a chipolte sauce with fresh greens and corn muffins smothered in orange butter.  Yum! I had a few margaritas and flan for dessert, of course, both of which were taken off my check by the waitress.  How sweet!   After dinner, I quickly made my way down to the Jitney stop where I waited in the bitter cold, made all the more chilly because my body was busy digesting food, and got on the bus where I was accosted by the guy sitting next to me, who was drunk and had very bad breath.  He ended up knowing me, naturally, as he was a bartender at a club where I used to do shows back in the early nineties.  Unfortunately, for me, he lives a half a block away from me and I had to deal with his advances during my whole ride home.  He decided I was cute and made no bones about it.  Luckily he was too inebriated to follow through, got off the bus and staggered to…wherever.  I went home, got changed into my P.J.s, climbed under my warm blankets and promptly fell asleep.  
.. ..
Today I found myself up at the ungodly hour of seven thirty this morning.  I was actually at Brittany’s Café before the waitress.  It gave me a chance to read most of the paper before my food came.  I then went to the Art of Flowers (where you should get all your floral needs) to upload photos to my MySpace page.  I finally got my demon desktop to put them on a disc…or so I thought.  I kept wondering why they wouldn’t load when I eventually realized that my damned computer only loaded the titles of the pictures and not the actual pictures themselves!  
.. ..
That bloody desktop hates me!  
.. ..
I will try, again, to foil the demon that waits in my dining room and have some new shots up tomorrow.  
.. ..
I made tentative plans to dash to Philadelphia this morning but once I got home, I began reading my book and before you know it, it was one o’clock in the afternoon.  Too late to get my act together and then, if you add the travel time, I’d get there too late to do anything and the sun would be setting, bringing even chillier temperatures to the big city.  So here I sit, in my room, typing away.  And reading.   
.. ..
And reading.  I’ve stopped writing the entry because the book is so good I can’t put it down for long.  I’m actually a bit sleepy but I don’t want to nap, I’d rather finish the book.  It’s only four hundred and twenty pages and I’m two thirds of the way through it since I began reading it last night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment