08 February 2011

First Posted 21 April 2004

Holy-Daze

Easter is kind of a weird holiday for me. Not really into the whole Jesus-comes-out-of-the-tomb-sees-his-shadow-and-we-have-six-more-weeks-of-lent thing, and I never really liked the jelly bean bunny poo left all over the baskets. And buttercreme chocolate eggs, uugghh! I didn't mind the new clothes that we would go and get, I just hated having to wear the fashions of the decade I was a child in. Well, that's not true. I hated not being able to pick out what I really wanted to wear. Halston didn't make a children's line, that bitch. I did always enjoy getting together with my family, especially my Aunt Janet. She was, in her own way, my Auntie Mame. I learned every dirty word, raunchy joke and disgusting bodily function from her. I learned how to play cards, especially Crazy Eights. I learned from her what beer tasted like. Hated it. And Vodka. LOVED IT! It was always a treat going to see her, as you can imagine. She always let me sit at the adult table, my sister and cousins hated me. I felt was always above them, anyway. They never got my humor. Now-a-days, the family has moved around and far away, and with work and life and divorce and death, we rarely get together as we used to. It's a shame. I think, just as a way of honoring those long ago days, I'm going to buy a new pair of dress shoes, a bad polyester suit from Penny's, leave the product out of my hair and go visiting the folks. On the holiday. Hey it can't hurt, except my feet. When's Easter?

No comments:

Post a Comment