31 January 2006

A Warrior Lost. A Battle To Win.

A warrior died today. A fearless, staunch, tireless warrior fell on the battlefield. A hero. An icon. We will lay to rest the body of Mrs. Coretta Scott King but, we will never cease fighting for her cause. We will pick up her valiant struggle against injustice and intolerance so often and still found in every corner of these united states. It's a hard and fierce struggle that oftentimes seems to be a lost cause. Hopeless. Un-winnable. I say it is not. No, let me say that again for I want it to be heard. THE STRUGGLE FOR EQUALITY FOR EVERY MAN AND WOMAN IN THIS COUNTRY IS NOT A LOST CAUSE! She picked up the cause of gay rights when so many African-American leaders shunned the gay community, accusing them of co-opting the Civil Rights Movement. Mrs. King did not. She saw that civil rights are EVERYONE'S rights! That no one should be kept from the vast and plentiful table of America. She took up the cause of A.I.D.S. awareness. She saw this horrible disease was killing Americans of all races, creeds and orientations, and that was unconscionable. She saw the government stand by and do nothing. She fought to be heard. And she was. There are those who would say her message has been lost in the world today. That her methods, and the methods of her late husband, are an anachronism in today's society. I am here to say, I have heard the siren call to arms. And I have heard the message. And it is good. Rest in peace, Mrs. King. Know that your legacy is beating in the hearts and minds of everyone who takes breath within these borders. And that I will fight for the rights of EVERYONE to have their place in this great land.

5 comments:

  1. Very well said, Mort. Very well said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well written! Very eloquent!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for your comments. I tried to stage a protest at work because no one noticed or cared why the flags were half staff, but no one gave royal rat's ***.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for your comments. I tried to stage a protest at work because no one noticed or cared why the flags were half staff, but no one gave royal rat's ***.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for your comments about Coretta Scott King. I was beginning to think I was the only one who cared. I tried to generate some interest at work, but no one gave a ****.

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete