25 December 2005

God Bless Us Everyone!-Tiny Tim. Bite Me!- Mortimer.

I didn't get my yearly visit by Jacob Marley and the ghosts of Christmas past, present and future so I have no Christmas spirit, again. Actually, I am not as "Bah Humbug!" as in years past but, I just don't have any visions of sugar plums and ho, ho, ho either. I have come to the conclusion that the holidays, especially this one, is more for young innocent children than jaded urban socialites like myself. And that's just fine by me 'cause I ain't popping out any ankle biters any time soon.

I went to Miss Tene's annual Christmas Eve party. It was nice, if a bit cramped. She has a quaint little apartment uptown and usually invites pretty much all of Atlantic City to attend so it can get a bit sardine-like after a short while. It spills out into the hallway and laundry room area next door quite quickly. Miss Patti and I arrived rather early, around 9:30pm, which is very early for us. We had our gifts in hand and quickly exchanged them for a plate of food and a cocktail. I thought is was an even trade. I have done a whole lot more for a free meal and drink than one measly Christmas present. We sat and kibitzed for a bit, having a great time and catching up. I saw April, who I met last year at the party. She has been busy at school and she asked me how my year has been. I started my usual answer of not really doing anything, you know the pat party chatter that you give to people when you really don't know what to say. And then I began to recite what I had done over the past year. And I was really surprised.


I have done a lot.


Boston twice, Ft. Lauderdale and South Beach, met Coy, Thanksgiving with my family and the Alternate Thanksgiving with my friends, my hair has been a red mohawk, short and blue, blonde spikes and now a Carol Brady shag, I started the gym and have been going religiously, I started a new job, and many many other things. Wow. I had such a revelation standing there. What a difference a year makes. And that was just with me, the world has seen quite a year as well but, I'll leave that to the news organizations to wrap all that up you.


And I must say, this was a great year because I didn't lose anyone.
That is always a great year. Because I have lost so many. So many friends.


I have done a lot this year and for that I am greatful. It has been a "wonderful life" I guess, for me at least.


Oh gods, did I just get visited by Jacob and friends without realizing it. Sneaky bastards.


God bless us, everyone, indeed!


So, as I sit here, digesting the French toast I made for myself (and it was really good!) and watching the God programming on all the channels on Christmas morning, I want to wish all of you in J-land a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays. Whether you celebrate with a religious or secular nature, I hope the season finds you safe and healthy.

2 comments:

  1. A year of no loss is a great year indeed!!

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very Merry Christmas to you, too, Mortimer!! I hope you had a wonderful day! :)

    ReplyDelete