12 July 2006

Marriage Decision (R)

Amendment XIV - Citizenship Rights. Ratified 7/9/1868

"No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State
deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

I was looking over
The U.S. Constitution. Interesting reading.
There are a few J-landers that feel that I do not deserve the right to be married, since I am gay but, this is not directed solely at them. This is my journal and I am writing this as a way to put into words my frustration at the audacity of the thinking of those around me who purport to be my friends and family and the demeaning way in which they treat me. I wanted to go on record that I have had enough and I will no longer associate with them. To those of you who have always had the right to marry, who are married and who may marry again, you do not know the utter frustration that we, as gay people, feel when we are told that we do not deserve the right to make it legal to be with the ones we love for the rest of our lives. To be told that we should settle for "commitment ceremonies" or "domestic partnerships". Or to just call it something other than "marriage".
To that I say, FUCK YOU. If I want to get married, I SHOULD BE ABLE TO GET MARRIED! Not domestic partnered.
What's next? Separate drinking fountains for us "fey folk"? Should we sit only in the lavender sections of the bus? Are we 3/5th's human?
So, in answer to my frustration, I can not and will not tolerate this thinking from those around me. If you feel that I should not be afforded the basic right to get married (no matter what the moral or religious grounds),consider yourself relegated to second class friendship. You are no longer one of those I will reach out to. You are no longer one of those I will keep in contact with. If I see you, I will be civil. I will be polite.
As I walk by you to drink only from the pink fountains and to use the gay bathrooms.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know you had started posting in here again;)

    Pink fountains? Nah, just look over at them in the urinal and then snicker or say "Oh, I feel so sorry for you"


    Chris
    My Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, and it is becoming a more scary world for GLBT again. You put it very well and actually made me smile at the same time.
    Can I get to have access to your private journal on aol-I wondered where you had disappeared to. For a middle-aged grandmother, I am pretty unshockable, which must have come from 10 years at Planned Parenthood, and three and a half years doing HIV testing at the womens prison!
    Margo

    ReplyDelete