24 February 2022

War Is Stupid

 What everyone knew and what was stupidly but seemingly inevitable, Russian 'President' Vladimir Putin has invaded Ukraine overnight and they are now at war. Predictably, the stock markets are plunging, non-military targets are getting hit, people are dying over there, hemming, hawing, and the far-Republican right is... cheering Russia on. Some of the stranger justifications; Russia only has two genders. The Russian army doesn't have sensitivity training. The gays! I'm not sure how they take these leaps from culture wars to actual geo-political warfare where people are dying because some old dude is sad the U.S.S.R. broke into smaller bits but the GOP/far right lost their minds a while ago so justifications are unnecessary and futile. 
My fear, although I may be sounding a bit like Chicken Little, is that this small regional war will somehow morph into the first global conflict of the new millennia. China, thankfully, seems to want to ignore what's going on, and our NATO allies are all aligned, it seems the only people happy this is happening is Putin, Fox News and the red half of the United States. 
In hindsight, assigning red to the political right was prescient. 

I managed to injure my back yesterday at the gym, and I knew right away that I shouldn't do the extra weight but I was feeling my oats and did it anyway. I managed to finish my workout but the pain is noticeable. I'm not completely disabled but don't ask me to pick anything up that I might drop on the floor. It'll either take a while or it'll just have to stay there. 
And yes, I'm still going to the gym today. Tomorrow is a wash-out for the most part so this is my only clear window the get another workout in. I'll rest tomorrow and hopefully be much better by Saturday for an early morning workout before work. Sadly, my little injury forced me to miss that little taste of spring we had yesterday, I pretty much stayed in bed chewing Advil. Meh, summer and the sweltering heat will be here soon enough. 

Joe cleaned the flat yesterday, so, of course, the landlord decided to fix/replace the back screen door. It needed to be done, and the repairman was very polite and efficient, he even fretted about Oliver getting out and running away. Joe reassured him that Oliver knows he's royalty in this house and will never leave willingly! I'm actually happy with the new door, it's got a replaceable screen for summer and he adjusted the closing mechanism to make sure it shuts completely every single time, no more wind gusts blowing it open and bending it our of frame. 
On a side note, I'm do happy the Joe is learning to use the Alexa dot in the kitchen. He's learned to play music and sometimes asks it questions. If you know Joe, you know what a big technological step this is for him. 

My cousin Dawn is in Florida visiting the parents, I had made tentative plans to join her but I'm too poor right now. I really need to find a little mid-week job, I miss having fun money. 

To whomever is reading my little blog, Thanks! and sorry for the drudgery. It'll get better, I promise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment